Friday, December 5, 2008

I'm THAT Mom!


We had quite a show at school this morning and when it was all over, Sydney and I were both in tears.


So, we pulled up to the school and I got Nathan out, unbuckled Sydney and told her I would be over to open the door for her. I walked around the car, holding Nathan close (it was 32 degrees and very windy) and Sydney refused to get out of the car. She protested because she wanted to put on her gloves. So, I waited while she struggled to put her gloves on. Then, she decided she had to put her hat on, but to do that, she took off her gloves. She pulled on the hat and then proceeded to put her gloves back on, but she struggled again. This time, she dropped them and refused help. I was about to lose my mind because I was cold, Nathan was cold and the clock was ticking. I tried again to help her, but she just got mad. Then her hat started sliding off and that made her mad. Finally, I just picked her up and took her out of the car. All of this while holding her brother, who is no lightweight. She then proceeded to throw the biggest temper tantrum on the sidewalk. She sat down and refused to get up. Meanwhile, parents are passing me by and I just want to melt into the floor. One parent was nice enough to hold the door so I could pick her up, one-handed, and carry the two of them in.


We couldn't just end it there. She literally screamed so loudly the teachers came into the hall to see, I'm sure, if she'd been hurt. Nathan's teacher took him from my arms and I tried desperately to explain to Sydney why I had to get her inside. She just cried and gave me the look. She then decided to lay down on the floor. Not knowing what to do, I just picked her up and passed her to her teacher. I apologized. I hate leaving like that.


I went into Nathan's room to drop off his stuff. I passed right by him and the tears just started to roll. I just tried to escape the school without being seen, but fat chance.


I got to work today, which was no small feat with the accidents on Rt 7 and me getting lost in Reston. I'm still not sure how I ended up where I did. I'm just glad I wasn't late after all of that. All had pretty much settled after an hour of work. Then, I got an email from the Principal.


Thankfully, it was to tell me that Sydney was doing much better and that she was having fun in Stretch-n-Grow. She also attached a picture of Nathan in a Santa hat (see above). "I thought you could use the extra smile today." She said. How nice. The only problem, she wasn't even there when this whole thing happened. So, now it is confirmed. Today, I am THAT mom with THAT kid and we were the talk. Sigh.

5 comments:

The Hall Family said...

Hey Jess. If it makes you feel any better, there's a whole blog devoted to being "THAT family." I smiled when I read this post, only because I've been in situations like that often enough. Hang in there, it'll pass. By the way, if you want to check out that site it's www.wearethatfamily.com

Take care.

Courtney said...

Hugs to you!

We all have days like that, just try to let it roll off your shoulders (easier said than done, I know!)

Cute picture of Nathan.

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

Oh what a story! I am so sorry! I don't have kids but I remember that happening when I was little with my brothers acting out and I would be the quiet one watching. I figured out how it was stressing out my mom. Oh my poor mom. She had it rough - but perhaps it will bring you comfort thinking about when they are older and can self-regulate their own behavior. My mom loves that all her boys (in their late twenties and one in his thirties) call her up and check on her all the time now. They used to drive her bonkers.

Friday hugs to you!

Jess said...

Right before I read this I wrote about a winter outwear fiasco at my own house. Total sympathy to you!

Rach said...

Oh, Jess, I'm SO sorry. What a crappy-ass way to start the day. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY thinks you are THAT mom. Seriously. Anyone who has kids *knows* those moments and if anything were just pitying you and Syd. 3 1/2 year olds are so stinkin' independent and get so easily frustrated and then they don't hear a WORD you say and then all hell breaks loose and you are left a puddle. My heart was aching for you as I read this because I've been there and I *know*.

Big HUGS. I'm sure all is better now, but oy, what a day, huh?