Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cars, Buses and Trains!

Well, I've been out of the serious commuting scene for a little over nine years. This morning I had the pleasure of commuting to DC from Sterling. Woo hoo! What a trip!

I hit the park and ride at 7:30am this morning to find that the main parking lot was full. Huh? Guess that is late for commuters. So, I parked at off site parking and walked three blocks where I caught the bus. Since I only had a Smartrip card, but no $ on it, I had to pay cash. One wet dollar bill wouldn't go into the machine and the line behind me seethed. Oops. Sorry.

Once on the bus, I was somewhat relieved. That was the hardest part of the trip. I got the metro station, played around with the fare machine for a while and took the first train to Metro Center, but not before having to evacuate a train because the doors would not close. Oh the memories. I hopped onto a redline train and made it to Union Station. I thought it would be much bigger since Amtrak runs there, but it was quite small. I exited the station and proceeded to walk three to four blocks to my destination where I went through security, waited in line and visited two windows before I completed my objective. It was a lot easier than I expected it to be, even if it was very time consuming. The round trip of the above took FOUR hours! WOW! I've decided that my days of commuting to DC should continue to be few and far between. I will visit for fun anytime though.

2 comments:

RI Kids Consignment Sale said...

Wow, that did take a long time! That is the reason I do not commute into Boston from where I live. It is a mess!! I tried it once for a job interview and thought,if I had to do that every day, I'd go crazy!

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

I spent 2 hours on the metro Monday morning. BOO!