Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I've Got Jitters!

Nearly EVERYTHING makes me anxious or nervous. So, why should this be any different? I've got a work dinner tonight. Certainly not my first meal with a client, but IPES! This time...co-counsel.

The purpose of the meeting/dinner is to celebrate the successful settlement of a yucky issue and to establish a rapport with the attorneys from a local firm. I've learned that referrals are pertinent to the business and building relationships to accomplish that is a priority. So, it is a great idea.

Personally, I am terrified. I'm just me. I'm not an attorney. So, right there, I'm an odd ball. Next, there will only be four of us total, which means the likelihood I'll have to open my mouth is great. CRAP! In these settings, I try to blend in with the tablecloth. Now what! Talk about politics? I hope not. Other current events? Maybe, but I doubt they'd be interested in my daughter's Halloween costume or the piece I heard on NPR the other morning about college drinking.

Add another layer of anxiety by going to Morton's. I love Morton's, by the way. It certainly isn't a restaurant I frequent. I'm always anxious by going in to those places. I know they know I don't belong right away. I might trip down their stairs. I might spill my water or food. What if I get something stuck in my teeth?! Who will tell me? BREATHE.

I know. I am being silly. I appreciate the opportunity to go and I know my boss would not ask me to go if he thought I would embarrass him. I just cannot help it. I've got to get it together. I have to go skim the paper and catch up!

Have a good day and I'll let you know what I screwed up tomorrow. Ha. Ha.

6 comments:

Rach said...

Oh, Jess, I feel for ya! I'm always a nervous wreck too. Always. I would be an utter wreck as well.

Hey, don't rule out the NPR piece. Seriously. You wouldn't believe the conversations I've had about things I've heard on NPR. ;o)

I know you'll be AMAZING! You are a kind, funny, warm, caring person and will be wonderful! :o)

(funny, my word ver's first three letters are "law". Hee hee)

Courtney said...

Good luck! I can't wait to hear how great you did because I'm sure you will do great!

Robert Gaulden said...

Jess,

Just be yourself. Everything else will fall into place.

Bob

Woli said...

You are so sweet and charming, you will just simply be a delight!

Jess said...

You're wonderful to be around, I know things will go perfectly! It is a good thing you didn't end up being a hairstylist, the whole job is talking to people you don't know and actually touching them! :-)

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

I hope that it went ok!