Thursday, October 11, 2007

September 2007: Family Weekend

Again, I cannot believe that we didn't take more photos. Mom, Tom, Wes and Ash were around this weekend, but you wouldn't know it! :) We had a great weekend and have another event planned at the end of this month to celebrate October b-days (Mom, Tom and Ash).





I had planned to document a step-by-step on chicken frying, but it looks like I missed a few. Oh well, guess I was too busy cooking!

Frying chicken takes a little bit of preparation. I was taught to trim excess fat and soak all pieces in a salt-water mix overnight. I use a good mix of everything (wings, thighs, legs, and breasts).
Next, you dump flour into a container along with salt, pepper and any other seasonings. I like to use a container with a cover so that I can throw the pieces in, put the lid on and shake it up. It gets a nice even coating and makes less mess.




You are almost ready to start frying, but first you have to melt a combination of Crisco solid and oil in a good frying pan. Yes, I said it CRISCO! I use my great grandmother's cast iron skillets, which are pretty large so they require a lot! Two of them almost take up the entire stovetop (see below). It is very important to bring the oil to temperature. You kind of want it to sizzle when you drop flour in, but you don't want it to splatter everywhere. Frying chicken is sooo easy. It is just VERY TIME CONSUMING. Each small batch takes about 25-25 minutes to fry. You want to take your time and make sure you have nice and even color on each side. I also recommend splatter screens. It is a messy process, but they really help cut down on the cleanup.



After you have fried each batch, I like to line a baking pan with lots of paper towels and set the oven to 275. I place the pieces in as a I cook and shove the pan in the oven. It keeps the chicken nice and warm and gives it time to drain a lot of the excess oil.

No chicken dinner is complete without green beans! I cook mine for several hours with cured side meat (salt pork) and onion, if it is around. You just cannot have chicken without green beans.

We also had homemade apple pie and cornbread that day. I didn't bother to take pics of that or a the final table setting. DUH! Oh well! :)

Here are some pics of the family at play and at Claude Moore Park:


Sydney is snuggling Miss Madison!

Grandma is reading to Sydney!








I think I mentioned to you that I started Sydney's Halloween costume that weekend with my mom. Here are a few pictures from that:



Looks easy, right? There I am at 1am (below). I still haven't worked on that costume. I'd better get busy!


The next day, we went to the ballpark for a baseball game! What a perfect weekend with family!

4 comments:

tiburon said...

Oh my goodness that food looks good!! I need to come visit so you can cook for me :)

Looks like a great weekend!

Christie said...

Yummy. I grew up in the south, and I miss southern meals - especially cornbread. Mmmmm. Maybe I'll make some this weekend.

Jess T said...

Tib- I would love to! When will you be here?

Laura said...

The chicken looks terrific, and your stovetop looks very much like mine when I make fried chicken with fried green tomatoes.