Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Whole New World!

Seriously, some of you might roll your eyes at this, but...I don't care.

I've been trying so hard to be more "green" this year and I've talked about it quite a bit here. I've been slowly making changes over the last several months and I have never been prouder of our family. Now, we are not model examples, but we are really trying and getting better every day. We are still VERY wasteful and we have a LONG way to go. I just needed to add that because I want to emphasize that we are very normal and average people. So, if you haven't started changing yet, you can do it too!

This morning I was hanging out in the waiting room at the doctor's office reviewing the latest fundraiser put out by Syd's school (wrapping paper). I flipped through the catalog, bending the edge of any page I thought might be a purchase possibility. The nurse called, checked my weight and left me in the "second waiting room." It was then I realized that I could potentially purchase an enormous amount of decorative paper to be ripped off of a gift in two seconds and then, you guessed it, tossed into the trash. WHAT A WASTE! I so love wrapping paper and pretty bows. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this, but reusable fabric bags crossed my mind, as well as newspaper. I use a lot of gift bags, which our family hands back and forth until they are falling apart. That is okay right? I guess I've decided that I am doing away with wrapping paper this year. Tissue paper? Mmmm...now you are pushing it.

Now, while I was on the hunt for bags, I came across biobags. Now, if you already know about them, stop reading. I'm a newbie. These biodegradable bags come in all the same sizes as standard trash bags (dog poo size, compost size, wastebasket size, kitchen trash size and lawn size). Who wouldn't want to have bags that decompose? Doesn't it just make sense? I, of course, just purchased regular trash bags...hmm...wonder if we've opened those yet. If so, I fully intend on trying these bags out the next go 'round. I could especially use the compost bags. They could easily line my garbage bowl. I do most of the little cooking I do on the weekend, as well as clean out the fridge. I generally cover my bowl with plastic until the end of the weekend when we dump into the compost. Now maybe I could tie up. Hmm...do I really NEED the bags or would they be more waste? Garbage bags-definitely, compost bags-maybe not and poo bags-as long as Madison is going.

I find reading about this stuff fascinating and what a thrill to put the plan into action! I've also cut waaaay back on dry cleaning. Not only is it less expensive for us, but it is better for the environment. I've been washing the majority of the items on gentle and hanging to dry. Now, I cannot iron worth a hill of beans, so that is a major pain in my butt. I'm trying to learn. I guess it will just take a little practice. Okay, it is me, A LOT of practice.

Maybe next week I'll start a carpool! That, unfortunately, right now, is a logistical nightmare. Maybe I could take the bus once or twice a week. Hmm..we'll see.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Well Jess, you certainly are going green and doing a great job.

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

That is really awesome, Jess! I hear you about the dry cleaning thing - I started to only buy clothes that I could avoid it. I metro...I love that...it will be really hard to give up when I move back to WA someday. It is so fasciniating - keep on sharing what you are learning with us :)

Jess said...

We have some of the biodegradable composting bags and they tear *really* easily. However, we are trying to be more careful and they are working just fine.

We also pass gift bags back and forth until they are falling apart in our family.