Tuesday, January 22, 2008


Finally! Our world has stopped spinning long enough for me to post the pics. For those of you that have a few minutes, keep reading and for those of you that don't scroll down to see the photos.

I had an apt with my OB on the afternoon of the 10th. I ended up staying home from work that day because I was just feeling terrible. I felt like I needed to sleep for 100 years. So, I slept most of the day prior to my apt and then I took myself to a very late lunch. At this point I was only a day over and wasn't terribly surprised because Sydney was also late. The nurse took my blood pressure and it was pretty awful. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I do remember it was 152 over ??. The doctor came in, checked me over, took my blood pressure again and decided that he wouldn't risk any further delay. He sent me home and told me to go straight to bed. FAT CHANCE!

I did comply that evening, as best I could. I was so nervous and scared about being induced that I was up the entire night. I ended up eating chicken noodle soup and watching QVC at 3am in the morning, which was a lousy attempt at trying to settle my stomach. Before I knew it, morning arrived and we were on the way to the hospital. I had tried to eat that morning, but wasn't having much luck. I knew I would pay for this later.

We checked in at 8:30am and by 9:00am my nurse started to place my IV. She did a bang up job compared to the last delivery. It only took her two tries and during Sydney's delivery, they blew nearly every vein before they finally called a pediatric anesthesiologist to put one in my hand. Nonetheless, I nearly fainted after the first attempt, which is pretty rare because I am so used to being stuck numerous times for ANYTHING. I have tricky veins. After the IV was in place and the doctor gave the go ahead, they started the drip.

It took some time before the contractions started, but once they did, they were regular and increasing in strength and duration. The progression wasn't quite fast enough for the doctor (my blood pressure was a factor) and she broke my water. With Sydney there were a few complications that led them to believe that they may have to operate so I opted for an epidural prior to them breaking the water. I didn't want to be put under general anesthesia if I ended up on the operating table. This time, I waited. It took a few hours before the pain started to get to me and I decided to request an epidural. At this check, I was 4 cm. It took about 15 minutes for them to come in with the epidural and it takes about 20 minutes for it to start to work. After the epidural was stabilized, they did another check and I was already 7cm at that point. I kept telling them that I though they were getting stronger, but I had no idea how quickly things were moving at this point. The epidural didn't have a chance to kick in fully because I was progressing so rapidly. They cld the anesthesiologist back in, but by the time they got there, I was complete. No point trying to up it then! Thankfully, what I had been given worked well enough that I didn't feel like I was going to die. :) I did end up puking seven or so times during the day. It was pretty nasty. Marc was a doll and held my basin for me almost every time. THAT IS LOVE! My mom and best friend, Rachel, were there to keep us company also. I'm so glad they were there. Rachel, I had to post the potty pic. It is too funny! :)

After the doctor gave the go ahead to start pushing, Nathan decided that he would enter in a hurry. I pushed for less than twenty minutes and he was born at 5:05pm. I pushed for over two hours with Sydney so, I was so happy. I made it through Sydney's delivery without a stitch, but didn't get so lucky this time. It could have been much worse though.

I, of course, started crying the instant I saw him. He had so many familiar Sydney expressions, but he had/has a soft cry. He weighed in at 7 lbs 1 ounce and was 20 inches long. I worried before he arrived that I could never love both children the same, but I worry no longer. I couldn't help but think of The Grinch, oddly enough, while I was holding him for the first time. I just knew my heart had grown in my chest to hold all of the love I was feeling and feel for my children. It really is simply amazing.

So, we've been home for almost two weeks. We've been trying to get ourselves into a routine, but we haven't quite made it yet. The first few days were especially rough because Sydney was SUPER JEALOUS and VERY ANGRY with mom. She wouldn't even talk to me. This didn't go over well with the hormonal mom. I've cried a lot the last two weeks, until today. I've made it through today without crying once. A RECORD! :) There is nothing worse than being rejected by your child. I am happy to report that, although Sydney has been quite a pistol lately, she is beginning to warm up to mommy again, a little. She has decided that now is the perfect time to test every boundary we have. I know she's got a lot going on in that head of hers. We're trying to manage. We put her back in school part-time and this has seemed to abate the nutty behavior of our angry little monster.

As far as Nathan is concerned, he is an absolute doll. He rarely cries, which is something unheard of to us. Sydney cried incessantly for the first six months of her life. She had acid reflux and her mommy was too stupid to listen to her baby. We instead tried to strictly follow the advice of lactation consultants and books. NEVER AGAIN! For those of you that knew me when I had Sydney, I attempted breast feeding and failed miserably. I had thrush several times, had anatomical issues and low supply. When I finally stopped at four months, I had blood running and we were all completely miserable. Nonetheless, I decided to give it another try. I'm glutton for punishment I suppose. Ha ha! What can I say? I am one persistent little girl. If at first you don't succeed....

I was ready this time. I was armed with information, creams and such. If it was going to work, it was going to work this time. Well, I am happy to report that I have been Nathan's primary source of nutrition for the last two weeks. We've supplemented three or four times with formula, but overall, it is just me. Unfortunately, we are struggling to overcome the anatomical issues and he mainly has expressed milk, but he is getting it nonetheless. I certainly cannot change the way I was made and I'm not going to lose sleep over it this time. Things are 1000 times better this go around. THANK GOODNESS! I cannot say I am that thrilled about being attached to a pump all day and night, but if it is better for him, I'll do it.

We are certainly thankful for our new addition and for our family and friends. My mother came to stay last week and took care of us. Thanks, mom! We've received lots of calls, emails and cards from relatives and friends. Thank you! We are so fortunate to have you all in our lives.

I'll check back shortly. I hope you all are happy and well.

Much love,


Jess said...

He is just gorgeous, Jess! I am so happy that your labor and delivery was faster and easier than Syd's was (I am hoping for this for me as well!). I am also happy that the bfing is going better- you are totally right to not beat yourself up about it. You tried harder than almost anyone I know with Sydney.

I hope things with Sydney calm down. We are already experiencing the Mommy rejection here. I have been told in the last week to "go away" and "go do laundry, mommy", "just want daddy". It is heartbreaking, isn't it?!

Thanks for the update!

haylee said...

Nathan is a sweetie, Jess.

God bless your little family.


100 Percent Cottam said...

oh my goodness, what a beautiful boy! he's amazing. congrats! and i'm so happy things are going so well with him. sorry about sid. i know how that goes. she will get more used to it, but it's a challenge! and hey, mama! you cry all you need to and remember it's NORMAL! this crazy time doesn't last too long.

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

He is beautiful! I am so glad to hear that you are doing well and wow what a story. Sydney will come around, it is a lot getting used to having a new man in your life :) I still remember when my two younger brothers came home from the hospitals. Changes....

Christie said...

He is so cute! Congrats again on a healthy baby.

rachd said...

Nathan is just *beautiful*! Congratulations to you and your family.

I understand the rejection. I felt like we had ruined *RUINED* Hannah's life she was so miserable when Lily arrived. It broke my heart on so many levels.

I also wanted to let you know you are my hero. Any woman who will stay attached to a pump so their baby can have breast milk is amazing!!

Hang in there! I will tell you that Lil just seemed to slip right into our lives. She was so peaceful, calm and placid. May Nathan be the same! :o)

Courtney said...

He is so beautiful. I'm glad to hear he is a good baby. The Syd thing won't last too long and you'll hardly remember it happened, hang in there. You have an absolutely gorgeous family.

Tiburon said...

He is so stinkin cute! Congrats! Hopefully Syd will settle down. I sent you a little something too - so check your mail tomorrow or Friday :) Congrats again! I can't wait to hear more about him!

Jo said...

Congratulations my Friend! I love you all so much and am so happy for your family. Why does childbirth always need to be so dramatic?

WELCOME NATHAN! I hope to meet you before you are too grown up.


Jo, Javon, Noah and Olivia

Alex Hall said...

He is precious! And I'd have to agree, the potty pic was a must. I'm so glad to hear that things have gone better this time around. Just hang in there....I think I didn't go a day without crying for the first month or so. Although, now it's all a blur. And little miss Sydney will come around in no time. They don't reject you forever, but I've heard that does come back when they hit the teenage years! Well, take care of yourself.

Bonita said...

Way to go Jess, and congratulations. Your little boy is just precious, and you'll settle into a comfortable routine in a matter of weeks. Those first few weeks are a horrendous transition, demanding all our resources. But things greatly improve. Imagine the fun Leslie will have pushing Nathan in the stroller when it is summertime. By then, she'll have worked out her little useful routine too, helping you. There is something good about admitting our fatigue or feelings to our children, even at her age, with "Mommy's sooooo tired. Shall we snuggle on the sofa together awhile, just you and I?" It's all about learning empathy and compassion. (Of course, she may still be mad, and show her empathy elsewhere, on other occasions, like little Ella did!)

Gina said...

Isn't he just beautiful!

Congratulations, mama! Ahh, the wonderful world of boys is one you will soon discover. It rocks, it really does.

Jamie said...

Ahhh, he is gorgeous. I love the name. Congratulations!