Wow! I cannot believe it is Thursday already. Seems like it was only just yesterday I was watching 'Desperate Housewives' on tv and wishing I had just one more day off. You know you can never get enough! :)
So, I had very light traffic again this morning and I stopped into Starbucks. They were a little busier today and they had a backup barista taking orders from line at the pastry case rather than at the bar. This helps them move faster, but I don't like it as much because I have to yell what I want across the store. I cannot help but be embarrassed about such silly things. Goofy right?
Anyway, as I was leaving, I passed by the same man I've been passing for the last SEVEN years. Actually, I'm thinking it might be six because I don't thing the Starbucks here opened the first year. In any event, I left the store wondering what the man's name is and what he does. After so many years of passing and exchanging hellos, you would think that one of us would have made an introduction by now. Of course, not me, I'm terribly shy. :) Instead I just play a guessing game in my head about what he does that allows him to hang out at the Starbucks every morning. I've often thought he is an aged and wise professor at GMU or GWU and how interesting it would be to find out his thoughts on social issues. He looks like he could teach sociology.
On other days, I guess that he is independently wealthy and likes to people watch. So, he gets up, showers and heads to the Starbucks to watch who comes in and out. Then, I wonder if he is a journalist. The list goes on and on. I've decided that I'll probably never know more than I do. He will always be the older gentleman who sits by the door at Starbucks reading the morning paper. One day he, or I, won't be there anymore.
Well, on to my list! Today I am thankful for:
1. my family and friends.
2. my decaf tall vanilla mocha and blueberry coffee cake. Thanks Dad and Jenn for the giftcard!
3. my reliable car that got me to work. My boss' VERY expensive car went to the shop again this week.
4. my cushy job at a desk. Seriously, it is bitter outside today and I'm warm. I bet those construction workers are feeling it.
5. not running any hosiery this week! Yay! I made it one whole week. Oh no, it is still early. Hope I didn't jinx it.
6. making it through one year without Mr. Colby. We had to put him to sleep one year ago Sunday and it was the hardest thing I have yet to do. I miss him so much.
7. my brother, Wes, who takes time out to come hang out with us every week. I love you! I know you're reading today.
8. a sense of humor. I've really needed it this week. What a difference it makes!
9. Lt. Col. Tom, who is currently serving in Iraq. He is a million miles from his wife and three children. I know it isn't easy. I'm thankful for his, and his family's, sacrifice.
10. Subway. I had a great sub from there yesterday.
11. giving people that work in my building. We collected a ton of food for the FBA canned food drive! Yay!
12. my Sydney's sweet voice. She is ready to sing 'Happy Birthday' to mommy tomorrow. She has been practicing. I cannot think of a better gift. Well, maybe in a few years she and Nathan will sing to me.
13. the leftovers in my fridge. Tonight, there is no cooking.
14. my new shirts! Of course, I love them. My mom picked up a few maternity tops for me and I've been enjoying them all week. Today's is my favorite, pink cashmere. It is so soft. Thank you, mommy.
15. tomorrow's paycheck.
16. my skin. It is so sensitive, but clear. I'm very fortunate.
17. my Hickory Farms delivery. It finally came! I've been waiting for weeks. I cannot wait to enjoy it. NOW, it feels like Christmas time.
18. my memories of staying at Granny and Don's when I was a kid. I am convinced there is no better garden for a child's imagination than the wide-open field of a farm. I used to ride my three-wheeler up and down the gravel road while singing "Cool Rider" at the top of my lungs. I know I was a dork. I still am. Now, I just sing Celine Dion at the top of my lungs while ironing clothes. Sydney thinks it is quite funny.
19. Oysters. Seriously, I wish I had some right now!
20. my shoes. I LOVE THEM! I have had them for probably nine years and they are still in great shape. They are so comfortable. I worried at the time that I was spending too much ($70). I'd say I got my money's worth! Yay Nine West!
21. Rascal Flatts. I'm listening to them right now. "At last I can see, that life has been patiently waiting for me....I'm not alone."
22. my sister. I miss you so much right now I can barely stand it. I know you have no idea.
23. patience. I'm happy to have the patience to sit and wait for things to work themselves out. Well, I try.
24. the birds outside my office window. They are often putting on shows and serenading me.
25. one more day on this earth. It is one more day to attempt to get it right.