Friday, April 11, 2008

Wacky Weaning!

I've heard some pretty silly stories in my life and this one is no exception.

All of the cats, well almost all of them, are out today. So, we mice, I still consider myself a mouse on Fridays, decided to play a bit this morning. We had a nice chat this morning about the weather and such. Somehow we got on the subject of breastfeeding and weaning. That is when one woman shared her weaning story.

Wanda, at least that is what I am going to call her, explained that her oldest son would not wean despite trying a million different things. So, at the nutty suggestion of a gynecologist, she ended up drawing scary pictures on her breasts in dark colors. She swears it worked. Now, have you ever heard of such a thing? After I stopped laughing, I told her that she was lucky she had not been in an accident during that time. As a former EMT, I can imagine having to cut the shirt off of someone and seeing that. I'm not sure I would be able to keep myself in check. I've seen tattoos, but never crayola! :)

Happy Friday!

7 comments:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

LOL!! That is hilarious!!! I have *never* heard of that suggestion before. Ever. Hee!!

Have a great weekend!

Bonita said...

I watched Dr. Phil the other day when a number of physicans were featured; one doctor discussed weaning, and he said he has seen women who breastfed a child of seven! One woman breast-fed (at the same time) a 5 and 3 year old! They showed a picture of her laying in the hammock, sprawled with her unweaned offspring. I recoiled at the image, just didn't feel good. So, whatever it takes, wean those little ones!

Laura said...

Oh. My. Goodness. But, I guess, any port in a storm if you get desperate enough. For me, it was kind of sad. My son weaned himself at 9 months.

Rach said...

Absolutely I've heard of that before! Can you believe it?

(I think I have this story right...)

My step-grandmother was an old country woman who had seven children. The youngest flat-out *refused* to wean. So, she used coal dust to draw big, black, scary faces on her breasts and Mouse was so terrified she never wanted to nurse again.

Now then, I think I remembered correctly. Could be Granny Tess was instead telling a story about a friend, but I'm fairly certain it was Granny...

Still, funny nonetheless! :o)

Courtney said...

I have never heard of that, but whatever works I suppose.

tiburon said...

OH MY GOSH! That is hysterical!! Too funny. I couldn't imagine. I guess sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

Jess said...

Read A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. The mother in the book used this technique to wean!